Reports to: Superintendent
Placement: Grade H
Term: See Duty Day Calendar
Position Summary:The Associate Superintendent is a top leadership position within the district, and is responsible for the general supervision of the daily operations of the Tempe Union High School District (TUHSD), under the direction of the Superintendent. He/she will give dynamic, yet motivating and supportive leadership to the supervised programs in support of increased student achievement for all students.
- Works with the Superintendent in realizing the vision and direction of the Strategic Plan of TUHSD.
- Believes that all students have the capacity to learn at high levels and that it is our collective responsibility to make that happen.
- Assists the Superintendent by representing the school system in the community.
- Assists with the general planning, organization and management of the District for the purpose of providing clear and positive direction for all programs.
- Provides general oversight and guidance to the district’s instructional programs and initiatives in support of student achievement by working with the Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning, principals and district instructional staff to assure that district strategic goals are achieved.
- Collaborates with Executive Team members on a regular basis to ensure the success of all district programming.
- General oversight of the Community Relations Department and collaborates regularly with the Executive Director of Community Relations.
- Leads by example in promoting a positive and productive work environment for all employees.
- Serves as primary contact for addressing parent and community issues and complaints that come to the Superintendent’s office.
- Investigates and analyzes special problems, and presents recommended solutions to the Superintendent.
- Supervises the collection, research, and analysis of student assessment information.
- Assists in preparation of the budget and facilities development and renovation to meet program needs in collaboration with the Assistant Superintendent of Business Services
- Oversees processes for student membership projections in collaboration with Human Resources and Business Services Departments.
- Resolves and adjudicates student enrollment and boundary issues.
- Provides oversight to data processing and information system implementation and management.
- Provides involvement and collaborative oversight for the conduct of federally and state funded
projects and other specified educational programs in collaboration with the Director of Instructional Services and Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning.
- Works with the Executive Director for Human Resources in staffing the schools.
- Acts as consultant to the Superintendent.
- Functions as the district’s Compliance Officer.
- Oversees the management of the district’s Policy Handbook.
- Participates as a member of the Executive Cabinet for the purpose of providing and receiving information and shared decision making.
- Attends all regularly scheduled and special meetings of the Tempe Union High School District Governing Board.
- Assumes responsibility for other tasks as assigned by the Superintendent.
Additional Professional Responsibilities:
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with policies and applicable laws.
include interviewing, recommending for hire, training employees; planning, assigning, and directing
work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Shares with the evaluation responsibilities for all seven site principals with the Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning and the Superintendent.
Attends all mandatory trainings as required.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
Training and Experience:
Management, experience or sustained knowledge of overall general district operations: business services, transportation, teaching and learning, community relations, operations, human resources, etc.
Supervision of instruction, special programs, and information systems in curriculum review, revision
Experience in analysis of educational research and implementation of instructional improvements.
Doctorate degree preferred.
Minimum 5 years’ experience as a school administrator and/or district program administrator.
Actively continues education and memberships in professional organizations that will promote continued growth.
Arizona Superintendent’s Certificate.
Professional Skills In:
Demonstrating the ability and desire to provide outstanding customer service.
Must have an excellent memory and the ability to function well under varying levels of stress.
Working independently with minimal supervision and assistance.
Maintaining confidential and/or sensitive information as appropriate.
Keeping abreast of current trends and information pertinent to the job.
Computers and standard educational/office software.
Proactively seeks and recommends alternative approaches and potential solutions to problems.
Effectively using technology as a tool.
Responding promptly to questions and requests; seeking assistance when appropriate.
Assessing needs and recommending improvement for assigned site.
Ensures that s/he is accessible to District employees, parents, and community.
Developing positive working relationships with employees, community members, and the Governing Board.
Maintaining a well-groomed appearance.
ADA and Other Requirements:
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, crawling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, fingering, standing,walking, pushing, reaching, lifting, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or
constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs
are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
When duties and responsibilities change and develop, this job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of
Location/Region: Phoenix, AZ (US)